Mar 8, 2010

Robin from Robin's flight and her terrific purses and bags



For my next feature, I found some great hand bags, purses and wallets on etsy that are
all hand-crocheted by Robin. Here is her story...

1-Tell me something about yourself and your art + your full name and where you are from

My name is Robin Flatley, and I live in Livonia (Detroit area), Michigan. I'm a stay at home mom of two beautiful children.


2-How did you get started as a designer?

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was 8, and my mom taught me to sew not long after that. As an adult, I started to crochet again and switched to bags and other small projects . I slowly started designing my own patterns, and lining my bags to make them more useful. I love combining the crochet with fabric, as well as zipper pockets and multiple sections to make the bags more handy.


3-What inspires you to create?

Often, my inspiration will be a nice fabric or set of fabrics. Or I'll see a nice handbag that will give me a design idea. Or, as with my forsythia tote, it's nature itself that fuels my imagination.


4-How do you get the word out about your shop and your work

I'm not very good at that, I'm afraid. I try to make connections on the etsy forums, and I do have a facebook page. I carry business cards and hand them out if people notice my own bags. My mom's probably better at that, she's one of my best advertisers!


5-Where we can find your purses and wallets

My items are found on my etsy website!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RobinsFlight

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous bags. Nice feature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very unique handbags! Looks like a lot of work and love went into them.

    ReplyDelete